allenf rost library

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 19 October 2012

in the desert

Posted on 14:03 by clark
Last weekend, I watched one of my favorite
Charlie Chan films, CASTLE IN THE DESERT (1942)
which reminded me of this chapter
from the autobiography I'm working on:

Castle in the Desert

When I lived in New York
I used to go to an old movie theater,
red as a velvet heart inside 
with lamps on the walls.
I watched My Little Chickadee
with W.C. Fields and Mae West,
The Marx Brothers and Charlie Chan
finding the Castle in the Desert.
Homesick in one of the biggest
cities in the world, I knew
I was ready to leave
when it became my routine to go
to The Museum of Natural History.
Somewhere in all those displays
I would find the great wall of glass
holding a captured recreation of
the Pacific Northwest rain forest,
staring into the green light of
birdsongs, cedars and firs
in the middle of skyscrapers.
I used to have a topsecret way of
sneaking into that amazing museum.
(I won't say how in case someone else
is using the same method.)
Also, I realize now how lucky I was
to grow up seeing all those old films
in movie theaters.

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • book of the week
    I'm loving The John Lennon Letters edited by Hunter Davies (2012). I'm reading it on the bus, on break  and any chance I get during ...
  • ...
    this is a sneak preview of what I've been so busy with the past few months. Something good is on the way!
  • 32nd & Seagull
    32 nd & Seagull Along 32 nd Street there’s a little house sometimes with a seagull standing on the rooftop. When it’s there it makes ...
  • The Wonderful Stupid Man
    This is the cover sheet for my new book   The Wonderful Stupid Man 39 short stories published this month by  Bird Dog Publishing
  • reading this Friday
    I'll be reading two stories this Friday in Seattle...
  • the peaceful island
    here's the cover for the new little book written from Halloween  up to Election Day. this is the typo cover
  • trees this morning
  • The Peaceful Island
      this is a little book I self-published written just before Halloween right until Election Day, 2012.   The World’s Most Hated Man Walking...
  • bradbury
    I've been reading a gigantic collection of Ray Bradbury stories. "The Kilimanjaro Machine" is great, appeared originally in Li...
  • movie time
    Saw a great Irene Dunne movie THEODORA GOES WILD (1936)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (158)
    • ►  August (5)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (28)
    • ►  May (26)
    • ►  April (31)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ►  February (19)
    • ►  January (18)
  • ►  2013 (90)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (5)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (9)
    • ►  May (13)
    • ►  April (12)
    • ►  March (10)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ▼  2012 (158)
    • ►  December (10)
    • ►  November (8)
    • ▼  October (7)
      • what's new?
      • setting free the bird
      • in the desert
      • A Week Old Snake Story
      • Le Havre
      • a receipt
      • morning lights
    • ►  September (14)
    • ►  August (6)
    • ►  July (16)
    • ►  June (19)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (18)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ►  2011 (73)
    • ►  December (7)
    • ►  November (18)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (14)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (7)
    • ►  March (6)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ►  2010 (21)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (6)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

clark
View my complete profile