allenf rost library

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 16 July 2010

Another Harvey Farewell

Posted on 16:24 by clark
This is really the way it happened back in 1998
when I met Harvey Pekar. We had lunch
at a restaurant next to the bowling alley
in Huron, Ohio. I remember he asked
the waitress to define "chicken jo-jos,"
an item he ordered from the menu.
I asked him about that Isaac B. Singer
book 'Scum' and how was R. Crumb?
After the food, we went to his car
in the parking lot where he popped
open the big trunk to reveal scores of
LPs in cardboard boxes.


A Cleveland Surprise

The broken gray light of winter brought down
on asphalt the scene where Cleveland barks,
"Hey! I'm selling records in the parking lot!"
to a few cold cars and two people walking out.
He opens the trunk of his sedan and there's
a cardboard box with Mendelssohn on top and
who knows what else is pushed in the stack.
The man standing next to me got hooked
looked in with Cleveland's carnival talk,
a song and dance playing strong as any
old Medicine Show. I watched Cleveland
rope him in to a 50 cent sale and then
it was only after bows goodbyes entailed
when the car drove away we discovered
a colorful sleeve with no vinyl inside.

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • book of the week
    I'm loving The John Lennon Letters edited by Hunter Davies (2012). I'm reading it on the bus, on break  and any chance I get during ...
  • ...
    this is a sneak preview of what I've been so busy with the past few months. Something good is on the way!
  • 32nd & Seagull
    32 nd & Seagull Along 32 nd Street there’s a little house sometimes with a seagull standing on the rooftop. When it’s there it makes ...
  • The Wonderful Stupid Man
    This is the cover sheet for my new book   The Wonderful Stupid Man 39 short stories published this month by  Bird Dog Publishing
  • reading this Friday
    I'll be reading two stories this Friday in Seattle...
  • the peaceful island
    here's the cover for the new little book written from Halloween  up to Election Day. this is the typo cover
  • trees this morning
  • The Peaceful Island
      this is a little book I self-published written just before Halloween right until Election Day, 2012.   The World’s Most Hated Man Walking...
  • bradbury
    I've been reading a gigantic collection of Ray Bradbury stories. "The Kilimanjaro Machine" is great, appeared originally in Li...
  • movie time
    Saw a great Irene Dunne movie THEODORA GOES WILD (1936)

Blog Archive

  • ►  2014 (158)
    • ►  August (5)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (28)
    • ►  May (26)
    • ►  April (31)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ►  February (19)
    • ►  January (18)
  • ►  2013 (90)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (5)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (9)
    • ►  May (13)
    • ►  April (12)
    • ►  March (10)
    • ►  February (4)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ►  2012 (158)
    • ►  December (10)
    • ►  November (8)
    • ►  October (7)
    • ►  September (14)
    • ►  August (6)
    • ►  July (16)
    • ►  June (19)
    • ►  May (31)
    • ►  April (18)
    • ►  March (18)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ►  2011 (73)
    • ►  December (7)
    • ►  November (18)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (14)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (7)
    • ►  March (6)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ▼  2010 (21)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ▼  July (6)
      • The Jimbaroo
      • Dangerous Jobs
      • A Mystery in Boxes
      • Inspiration #31
      • Another Harvey Farewell
      • d.a levy's book
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

clark
View my complete profile